Thursday, February 4, 2010

Big Bird (in progress)

It has six beaks, 5 of which are articulated. The main beak and the top beak will operate together, while the two rear and the bottom beaks will work together on a separate drawstring. I am seriously debating having the two small birds face forward, flanking the larger top bird, face the top bird to the rear, and make a crooked beak to replace it facing forward.... if that makes any sense. In this picture you can only just see the head of one of the smaller birds facing towards the rear.
The main bird will also have ears. If you have never seen a mask like this that probably sounds odd, but trust me it works. I can't get my hands on any good cedar bark so I will probably have to use horse hair, rope and raffia to finish it off.
The top bird will probably also have his own set of ears. I am concerned the lower beak might be a little overpoweringly large, but what the hell. The little guy sitting in front is actually the main bird's tongue.

I have also decided what I will work on during the show: A loggerhead tortoise bowl with a lid. The lid will have hitchhikers, perhaps dogfish woman and an octopus.

After this show, I plan one more mostly N.W. Coast style piece. It is something I have been wanting to do for a while. It is a very large sun mask, about six feet in diameter. It will be amusing. I don't want to give it away just yet. It is not traditional, but it still fits the N.W. Coast "playbook" for lack of a better term. After that, I plan to do a couple surreal/abstract pieces.

1 comment:

  1. dad, that is so cool...im not just sayin that, thats really cool

    ReplyDelete